Miss Florence Jane, named after my great-grandmother, was brought into my sewing room today. The first two pictures are from a few years ago, sitting in my brother’s house. It’s taken me nearly three years to make room for her in my sewing area.
Once we got her into the house today the first thing I did was remove the motor. The wiring is badly cracked and I’m looking forward to treadling on her.
I think that may have been the easy part.
Then I pulled out the manual – it’s from May 1916 – to figure out how to thread the machine.
It’s probably not the first thing I should have done, but I managed to pull the needle out and it ‘felt funny’, so I wanted to see how it was supposed to go into the machine. Flat side of the needle to the right. I don’t remember that from when I last sewed on this machine. But then again it has been 32 years.
Anyway, before it goes back in the cabinet I need to clean it up a bit.
It’s a bit gunky underneath, and I’m sure she could use a bit of oil.
The cabinet top is rough – Potted Plant Disease. The decals are all worn off. But that’s because she was used! No telling what was made on this machine when she was young, but in her later life my momma made clothes for her mother and our family each summer. My guess is she was only used the 3 to 6 weeks we visited my grandmother each summer.
Mary — she’s wearing the spool doily you made me.
Now to order a belt, clean her up and get her back in the cabinet so I can sew on her.