Quilting and Stuff by Knitnoid

The Quilting Has Begun

orangedp9quiltingbegin

Backing #2 Is Complete

quiltback2

Two more shirting backings to go.

September Goals

shirts

For September I would like to get these four shirting quilts quilted. But before I can do that I need to finish piecing 3 backings. I hope, given that I have two 4 day weekends this month, I can pull this off. If I get it all done, there is more to do as the quilts pictured below are on my list to finish by the end of the year as well.

therestofthequilts

I did mention I set a crazy challenge for myself, didn’t I?

What’s On My Design Wall

orangedp9back

 

Over the weekend I finished cutting the shirt squares. Then I started stitching them into quilt backs. The one pictured above will go with the Orange Disappearing 9-Patch. Pictured below is half of the backing for one of the other Disappearing 9-Patch quilts.

120half-2

In the bottom left corner is the stack of quilt tops which I’m planning on quilting. I hope to get all of these backs knocked out this week, then I’ll start a marathon quilting session. I’ve got a 4-day weekend coming up.

Hop over to Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.

Stash Report

stash0830

It was a long day Saturday — I finished cutting the rest of the squares for the quilt backs — and the first 80 are sewn into groups of 4. But I simply ran out of steam before I could finish the back, so no fabric counted as out this week.

Fabric Added Since Last Report 0.0 yards
Fabric Added to Date: 185.805 yards

Fabric Used Since Last Report: 0.0 yards
Fabric Used to Date: 61.785 yards

INCREASE in Stash to Date:  124.02 yards

See how others are doing over at Patchwork Times.

Past the Halfway Point

backing-229

229 squares cut, another 181 squares to go to hit 410. I’ve emptied one shirt box, although I am filling it up with bits and pieces which need to be cut up into the Scrap Users System. But that’s for another day perhaps in January after I get past my latest crazy challenge of finishing 12 quilts in 4 months.

I had high hopes for this week.  Get all the squares cut and the smallest backing made so I could quilt the Orange Disappearing 9-patch next week.  However, I had a vicious attack of hives and it knocked me for a loop for a couple of days. I don’t ever recall having hives before and have no idea what set them off. Tomorrow is another day, so perhaps I’ll get more knocked out then than I have the last couple of days.

 

What’s On My Design Wall

dw0824

I’ve been cutting up my shirts into 9-inch squares to make the backings for 4 quilts made from shirts. So far I’ve cut 183 squares and I need 410 for the 4 backings. The count should have been 187, but I cut the last shirt back wrong, not once, but twice, resulting in just 2 squares instead of 6. At that point I called it a day.

That pile of strips in the back will eventually become tumblers.

Check out the links over at Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.

Stash Report

I finished the Green Disappearing 9-Patch top so that’s nearly 6-7/8 yards of countable fabric used.

Fabric Added Since Last Report 0.0 yards
Fabric Added to Date: 185.805 yards

Fabric Used Since Last Report: 6.806 yards
Fabric Used to Date: 61.785 yards

INCREASE in Stash to Date:  124.02 yards

See how others are doing over at Patchwork Times.

Disappearing 9-Patch #3

greendp9topThe Green Disappearing 9-Patch is now a top. That makes 3 I’ve made this summer. Now it’s on to the quilt backs. I have 50 squares cut from the shirts and I need 410. That number is up from the original 320 as I will be finishing Nifty Thrifty this fall as well.

I’ll cut all the squares for the backings, then alternate piecing a backing with quilting a top.  That should give my shoulders and neck a break.

 

Quilts From My Past – Which Way Is Up?

wwup

Today I’m linking this edition of Quilts From My Past to Krista’s Throwback Thursday post.

This quilt was started in the November 2004 on-line virtual retreat hosted by Wonder Cut Ruler. I’m not sure when I purchased the Wonder Cut Ruler, but I know this is the first quilt I made with it. As part of the ‘retreat’ we simply made the 9-patch blocks. The final layout was up to the individual quilter.

My husband and I jointly worked on the layout. He’d tell me which block to turn and I was crawling on the floor flipping the blocks around. Once I we had the layout worked out I got the center sewn together. It was probably 18 months before I got the borders on the quilt and got it quilted and bound.

The outer border and backing is a cool looking fabric. I originally bought some to make a reindeer on my Christmas Block of the Month.

reindeer

Once I decided the fabric was perfect of my quilt, I raided a friend’s stash as she bought the rest of the bolt!

The quilting is simple.  Straight lines through the “arrows”. flying geese in the light border and a diamond cable in the outer border which I found in a Georgia Bonesteel book.

The quilt measures 69″ x 86″. Warm and Natural batting.

This quilt is well used.  It’s on my half of the bed.