Quilting and Stuff by Knitnoid

A Long Two Weeks

It’s been a long 2 weeks.  It’s taken me 2 days to recover.  My brother and his wife left Monday morning. Between his arrival and departure, a ton of stuff got done around the house.  The pictures are not in the order of accomplishment, but rather in a tour of the house fashion.

I’ve got a new front door and it swings open in the correct direction – against the bedroom wall and not over the light switches. I would have settled for weatherstripping for the moment.  After the windows are installed, I’ll paint the trim to match the window trim.

A view from the den.  New door trim, baseboard and the wall corner trim. Tommy was trying to show me something and we liked the look from the living/piano room.  I also have a new foyer light.

This is the view from the foyer into the living room and dining room.  Trim around the openings between the rooms and baseboards.

The bullseye rosettes and flutes were also used on the living room window.  After Penny, my brother’s wife, arrived we counted the # of windows which had a broken lock or pane of glass. 10 of 16. I can’t wait until I get my new windows.

This is looking back into the foyer from the dining room.

More trim work — baseboards and the doorway into the kitchen.  I will get to the kitchen eventually. A dimmer switch was installed for the chandelier.  But another coat of paint is needed, so the fixture is currently sitting in the den.

The dining room window still needs another piece of trim.  Both the living room and dining room will get crown molding – hopefully before the piano is delivered next month.

New lights went up in the bedroom hall as well.  I think these are 6″ and the one in the foyer is 8″.

Baseboard was installed, the AC Return vent cleaned up so it doesn’t need to be replaced and the doorbell box painted.

In the front bedroom quarter round was installed.

This is looking out into the hall from the far corner.

In the corner bedroom, new baseboard and quarter round.

The door knob will be replaced.  We put the old ones back on for cat control.

The plan was to ignore my office until I figured out the built-in situation.  I made the first payment on the cabinets Saturday, so that meant we had things to do, starting with raising the outlets above the cabinet height.  The door into the Sun Room was hung, hinges swapped out and the casing trimmed.  Baseboard was pulled out and new baseboard and quarter round rough cut to size.

The baseboard was put in from the door around through the closet.  That lower outlet will be in the bookshelf.

The laundry room walls in the Quilt Studio (QS) got both baseboard and quarter round because of a weird jut in the floor.  The door into the den was hung and trimmed out.

The wall by the chimney turns out to be a perfect spot for the tea cart until the dining room is ready for furniture. The table top is under the quilt.

The chimney got a bit of quarter round to close the gap.

The Sun Room got baseboards, except on the patio wall. Those and the trim for the new door are rough cut waiting on the windows.

The door on the left is into my office, the one on the right is into the den.  Installed and trimmed out.  AT&T  came out Monday morning and fixed the phone lines.

The sun room window is trimmed out.

The QS patio windows are trimmed out. That’s extra painted trim that will be used somewhere, eventually.  I also got the AC return installed Construction math reminds me of quilting math.  The 12 x 24 filter I needed is only 11 3/4 x 23 3/4.  The thermostat was reinstalled. The HVAC didn’t work.  We poked around and discovered a blown fuse.  Replaced it and now the QS & Sun room are climate controlled for the first time since the ceiling was dropped.

Looking down the Design Wall wall. Baseboard installed.

Early in the week we painted and hung the storage room door.  Somewhere along the way the backdoor got painted.  That peach had to go.

The driveway windows have been trimmed out and baseboard installed along the wall.

I’m considering walling up the door into the laundry room, so this spot is great to store the buffet and dining table chairs.

Twist-lock outlets replaced the regular ones in the ceiling. A little bit of electrical tape and paint and it blends into the ceiling.

One of the very first projects was the outlet and converting my 25-foot long power strip for the long arm.

All the boxes have been moved to the center of the room. It will all have to shift again when the longarm is delivered.

Throughout the house are dark spots on the ceiling.  I took the ceiling vent covers down to paint. I’ll put them up after the painting is finished in the house.

All the Christmas boxes are now in my bedroom to make room for my temporary office, TV and other storage.  As soon as the office and bedrooms are finished, that stuff will move (again) and work can begin on this room.  The built-ins for the far wall have been ordered, but will be the last set built.

The backdoor got a make over as well.  The raised trim will get painted after the weather warms up again. New weather stripping was installed.  It’s not what we thought we were getting, but it works. This was the last thing Tommy did before headed home.

This was the paint room for two weeks. This must have been the first day as there is no paint on the ground yet.  We started to rent a paint sprayer, but for 2 days of rental we were able to buy one.  Buying was a good investment.  It turns out we painted nearly everyday over the two weeks.

Now to get my contractor back to pickup from here.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation