Quilting and Stuff by Knitnoid

So Close

My Frolic has gotten huge!  It has become quite unwieldy as I’ve added the borders. Originally, my plan was to just add a matching 1-1/2″ outer gray border, but I decided to make it wider. The first plan was to increase the border so there was 1-1/2″ of gray between the binding and pieced border, but when it came time to actually add the border I was concerned that the narrow border would look weird, so I opted for a 5″ border.  I still have one more to add to call this top done.

Of course what I failed to take into account is the top is now 118″ square.  My backing is only 108″ wide. I had a plan to add 10″ to the backing, which would have made it tight, but not impossible, but now I need at least another 4″ and 6-8″ would be better. At least the backing will be lighter when I finish piecing it.

The larger quilt has also thrown my binding choices into limbo.  My sister gave me a bit over a yard of blue fabric which I have used as the cornerstones, possibly one star block (I simply can’t remember), and the inner blue border.  The plan was to bind the quilt in the same fabric. Now I’m not sure I have enough. We think she still has a yard of the fabric, but it’s buried in her sewing room. Naturally she bought the last of the bolt and it was an older fabric. But I suppose I don’t need to cross that bridge quite yet.

Easy Breezy – 33

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation