I’m not sure I can call this a Star-a-Day — yet. The top left star is #1. It measures about 3″ instead of the 3-1/2″ it should measure. It took me nearly a week to get it finished. Hand piecing is right up there with applique. Which of course explains why I’m trying to embark on making 365 stars by hand.
Star #2 is the turquoise and brown. I started working on it before I finished the first one and it’s just not going together well. It will have to be taken apart and made over again.
Star #3 – the lime, blue & pink one. Well, this is about the 3rd time I’ve put it together. I discovered starching the fabric really well before tracing the templates makes it much easier to line the pieces up. However, my thread (a silk thread I use for applique) kept pulling out so I set it aside to work on star #4.
Star #4, the one with the lady bugs, I finished earlier this evening. It’s not quite 3-1/2″ but it’s close enough and I switched threads. Once I finished it I ripped out the stitches on star #3 and started over. It wasn’t until I tied off the end of my thread that I noticed I have a couple of pieces in the wrong place. My husband suggested it was a design element. Nope, simply the lack of concentration.
I’ve been told it takes about 10 stars to get in the groove. I wonder if doing stars over counts.