Quilting and Stuff by Knitnoid

A Solution

All month I’ve been working on UFO # 6 for Judy’s UFO Challenge.  This quilt was started back in 2008.  One of the reasons it got set aside was because I made two wrong cuts – messing up 4 of the 9-patches.  Normally this would not be a big deal, but since I was working with a charm pack and had no more fabric it brought me to a screeching halt.

When I resumed working on the quilt, I had to figure out how to deal with my bad cuts.  My first attempt to resolve the problem was to rip out my original piecing and take narrower seams.  I even double stitched them for added security.  But the more I thought about it the more I got concerned that it would rip out.  The narrow seam allowance can be seen in picture 1.

So I came up with another solution.  I ripped the stitching out – again.  Picture 2 shows how much smaller the pieces are from what they are supposed to be.  Then I put a piece of Lite Steam-A-Seam2 on the edges (3).  The fabric was then fused to a thin piece of muslin (4) and trimmed to the correct size (5).  1 5/8 inches by 1 5/8 inches.  Picture 6 shows how I’ll sew the block back together.

I’ll sew the block back together with 1/4 inch seams, but only 1/8 inch of fabric will be caught on some edges. I hope that the extra layer of fabric, along with the fusible will keep fabric from unraveling.


One Thought on “A Solution

  1. Clever solution!

Post Navigation