Over the weekend I joined another UFO Challenge. It works on a simple principle — saying no new projects until you’ve finished your UFOs is not realistic. Simply pick 4 UFOs you are going to work on this year and report on them. So I picked the following 4 UFOs.
- Green and Blue Strip Twist
- Candy Sunflower Seeds (top only)
- Blue Disappearing 9-Patch
- Green and Cream Swap
Little did I know that I should have put En Provence on my list. I’ve stalled at the borders. The borders that I knew what I was planning to do.
The quilt, as designed, was finished Friday evening, and cat approved. Saturday the blue border and additional round of neutral 4-patches were added. That’s where I got stuck.
The nutcrackers are directional. Do I cut the borders so they all march the same direction, giving the quilt a top and bottom? March the nutcrackers vertically around the quilt counter-clockwise? Have them all stand at attention feet (not that they have any feet) in or feet out? There is only 3 yards of fabric, but still each of these options is an option — but I would like at least two pillowcases to match the quilt.
So, leaning toward feet out, I put the top on the bed and hung the border fabric to see what I thought.
I need the additional width on the quilt. It just hangs over the bottom of the mattress. But I’m not positive this is what I want to do. So, I folded up the quilt top, the nutcracker fabric, the blue, and the red that I used in the top and have set it aside, as I’ve want/need to finish the Disappearing 9-patch.
My main sewing machine was pulled from the table. The treadle machine opened up.
A couple of orphan blocks became a practice piece.
The backing was pulled out and pressed. The dining room table cleared, leaves added and covered. The backing rolled up on my 2 x 8. The batting spread out. That’s when I discovered I didn’t have any basting spray. I thought I did. But it has been a year since I used any. So off to WM we went. In and out with only the basting spray. Probably a first for me.
The backing is now attached to the batting and the top is pressed.
But I ran out of steam. Tonight I’ll finish basting the quilt and then start quilting it.
See what others are working on over at Patchwork Times.