Quilting and Stuff by Knitnoid

Category Archives: Moda U

Another Quilt Ready to Bind

This is my Moda U Block of the Month from 2008 – 2009. The fabrics from a Three Sisters line.  In addition to this being a piecing sampler, I’ve made it a quilting sampler.

As it turns out I’ve been working on it for a month, loading it on the frame September 21st.  In each of the large white blocks, I used the same quilting motif.

Most of the pieced blocks had some sort of outline stitch — either curved, or in the ditch – depending on my mood when I got there. I experimented with the crosshatching tool on my machine.

The first time I loaded the quilt, I just ditched the sashings and borders. At that point I took it off the machine to work on customer quilts.

A couple of days ago I loaded it back on to finish it.

The outer border has a feather motif with curly q’s and circles.  The inner border is leaves.

On this pass I also filled in the sashings.

After the 2nd pass,  I took the quilt off the frame, trimmed it leaving 3″ past the borders, pinned it back on the frame and quilted the side borders.

Check out the matching of the borders.

The quilt is now off the frame and trimmed for binding.  Now the challenge is finding something to use for the binding.  I learned a lot on this quilt and can’t wait to put some of the lessons to use on my other tops waiting to be quilted.

Moda U is Loaded

Saturday I turned in my Suffrage Quilt. I’ll post a picture as soon as I can.  The next thing on my list was getting the Guild Challenge quilt webpages built. Once that was done it was time to find something to work on.  I pulled this 2007 -2008 BOM out of the box – primarily because I have a wide back for it.

This Moda U BOM was presented by Heritage Fine Fabrics in Belton back in 2007-2008.  The patterns were simple line drawings with the measurements – no instructions on how to sew the pieces together.  Connie, the shop owner, asked me to write instructions and put together a couple of quilt layouts. I designed this one to leave plenty of space to show off quilting.

With the quilt loaded and thread picked, I started to wind a bobbin.  The winder wouldn’t wind!  Nothing I did could make it work. I called my longarm dealer and they didn’t have any in stock.  I posted my lament on Facebook and a guild member offered me hers as she won’t be using her machine for the next few weeks.  I was back in business Sunday afternoon.

I have no idea what I’m going to do in the border & sashing, so for now, I’m doing stitch in the ditch and I’ll come back later.  In the meantime, my sister showed me how to drop a block into a boundary. So each of the unpieced blocks will have this wreath.

 

I’m making up the rest of the quilting as I go along.  I tried a bit of computerized cross-hatching in the background of this block.