In two weeks I’m going to a 4 day quilt retreat. Invariatebly, I take way more than I can accomplish, but I like a variety of projects so I don’t get bored. Not finishing what I take is not an issue for me (if it was, my UFO list wouldn’t have 33 partially completed tops on it). Anyway, this year I’m going to focus on borders. – Note to self, find knee pads for crawling around on cement floor.
However, working or borders all weekend will get boring, so I’m going to take atleast one PIG (project in grocery sack). I easily have a dozen to choose from, but decided I wanted to work on Springtime at Heritage which is the kit pictured above.
I bought it in Septemeber and it’s been kicking around in my sewing room ever since. The only problem was I couldn’t find it.
My sewing room is divided into two main spaces — a u-shaped area with my personal computer, work computer and sewing table and the rest of the room where I hope someday to have two casual chairs and an occassional table. Or where I can set up a couple of tables and have friends over for a sew-a-thon. On the wall are shelving units with my fabric, completed tops, ufos and pigs. That’s the only area which is really well organized. The u-shaped area is messy but functional and the other half of the room needs cleaning.
So, for the last couple of days I’ve been “cleaning at” the other side of the room a couple of minutes at a time looking for the fabric kit. Tonight I finally found it. So can I stop cleaning?
Oh, click here for the quilt pattern I’m using.
I’m counting this quilt DONE! I started it in 2005. It’s been tossed into the UFO pile on several occasions, but I finally decided DONE is better than PERFECT. There’s still a hint of pink on the background which is not showing up in the picture. And there are only 2 packages of crystals – amber and red. When I ran out of crystals, I sewed the bead back on that came off in the wash, turned it over and signed it with a Pigma Pen.
No New Projects needs to be my mantra. Let’s face it. If I ever find time to sew in the next few weeks, I have plenty to work on — I’m only on Step # # of Old Tobacco Road; I only have 6 rows of 14 sewn together on my DH’s music quilt; the Pink and Brown and the Stack-n-Wack quilt both need borders; and then there are the other 30 quilts that are in various stages of piecing, another 30 tops of various sizes which need to be quilted and the 20 PIGs which have been identifed and lined up if I ever feel the need to cut into “new” fabric.
My only problem is Day & Night from Quilt in a Day arrived in the mail yesterday.
I LOVE the cover quilt – black and white with red accents. I don’t have enough black, white and red fabric in my stash to make this quilt or even a 4 block table runner. Made the Quilt in a Day way, scrappy won’t cut it. Nonetheless, yesterday I dug through my yardage boxes to see what I could find. I came up with 2 possibilites.
The Dark Pink, Light Pink and Black accent option:
And the Pink, Yellow and Purple accent with Turquoise butterfly borders option:
No new projects. No new projects. No new projects. Maybe I’ll simply put the fabric back in the yardage boxes, the book on the shelf and the template in the template box and call it a night.