Quilting and Stuff by Knitnoid

Category Archives: Dp9

What’s On My Design Wall


Late yesterday evening, I turned on my book and sewed for a bit.  Before making the 9-patches, I ordered the blocks and pinned a number to them, that way I can sew from a pile of blocks and a printout.  After two hours, I have the first four rows of 13 completed.  I’ll add three more rows to each section and then joint the section together. Once done, I’ll do two sections of 7 rows, join them and then join the top and bottom of the quilt together. I’m guessing 5 or 6 more hours and it will be ready to quilt.

Hop over to Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.

What’s On My Design Wall


Progress has been slow for a variety of reasons, but after 6-1/2 hours of stitching over the past two weeks, I have 23 of the 49 9-patches made for the Disappearing 9-Patch. I had no idea it was taking this long. I’ve been using the audio book Fall of Giants by Ken Follett as my timer while stitching, but I have no idea how long it look to prep the shirts and cut the fabric.  Normally I don’t care, but as this quilt was commissioned, I’m trying to pay attention.

See what others are working on over at Patchwork Times.

Progress – Blue Disappearing 9-Patch


It’s taken me all month, but cutting the fabric for the Blue Disappearing 9-Patch is now complete.  Next up pairing lights to darks so I can start sewing.

What’s On My Design Wall



This past week has gone by in a blur – lots of errands and not much time at the sewing machine. The good news is I have finally finished the quilting on the Red Disappearing 9-Patch and I have the binding cut. This means I now have two quilts to bind as the Hardware Quilt still needs binding — and I don’t have those strips cut.


While I had the cutting board cleared, I made one set of clue 2 of the mystery quilt. I started with just a single headless goose, using the Companion Angle ruler, which came out OK. But then apparently the next 3 I cut wrong as they almost have their head. I finished up the set using squares and the stitch and flip method – which I think I’ll use going forward.

Looking at this week, I have 2 evenings of activities which will limit my quilting time, so I doubt I’ll get much done on the mystery – I’ll have to focus on getting the Crazy Challenge quilts done.

See what others have on their Design Wall over at Patchwork Times and how others are doing on their mystery quilt over at Quiltville.


What’s On My Design Wall

MQ-1This morning I have a little bit of several things in the works. I started Allietare, the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt — because clearly I don’t have anything to work on — 😉  Although I had all of clue 1 cut out, I only got 1/3 of them made since I got a chance to use the long arm.


This is the Hardware quilt which I quilted on Saturday. It still needs binding which is on my list for this week.



The Red Disappearing 9-Patch is maybe 1/3 quilted – I set it aside – I thought briefly – to work on Allietare and I haven’t gotten back to it. It too is also on my list for this week.

Hopefully I can get these two quilts finished up by midweek so I have plenty of time to finish up the rest of the Crazy Challenge II quilts.

I’m linking up with Patchwork Times for the Design Wall Monday post and Quiltville for the Allietare link-up.

What’s On My Design Wall



Left to Right:

  • Green Disappearing 9-Patch that needs binding
  • Aiming for Accuracy ready to be quilted
  • Orange Crush ready to be quilted

It’s going to be a long day – I’ve booked 6 hours on the long arm to get these quilts quilted.

See what others are working on over at Patchwork Times.

Orange is the Ultimate Favorite Color


I gave this Disappearing 9-Patch the name “Orange is the Ultimate Favorite Color” as that is what my nephew is fond of saying.  When asked, he says “I have 2 favorite colors, red and yellow, which make orange, which is my ultimate favorite color.” The quilting is simple – diagonal lines.


Quilt Statistics:

  • Top Started: 5/19/15
  • Top Completed: 6/5/15
  • Quilt Completed: 9/5/15
  • Recycled Fabric Used: 8.7 yards (front & back)
  • Purchased Fabric Used: .968 (orange)
  • Batting: Hobbs Tuscany 100% Unbleached Cotton
  • Thread: Coats Machine Quilting 100% cotton 30wt. Article V3 color 880 – Autumn
  • Machine Quilted on my DSM
  • Measures 62″ x 77″ after washing

This quilt is on my list for the 3rd Quarter Finish Along. I’m sending it to Aunt Marti for the UFO Parade. It’s also being sent in for the 2015 UFO Busting over at Field Trips in Fiber.  It is one of the original quilts on my Crazy Challenge II which started August 15th.

Stash Report


This past week I actually finished stuff to the point I can count it!  Two backings – one for the quilt pictured above and another shirt backing for one of the other Disappearing 9-patches. Normally I don’t count backings until the quilt is quilted, but given that this back is pieced and it could be a quilt on it’s own, I’ve counted it now. There is binding and the label to count for the Orange Disappearing 9-patch as well. As you can see, Gracie approves.

Fabric Added Since Last Report 0.0 yards
Fabric Added to Date: 185.805 yards

Fabric Used Since Last Report: 11.693 yards
Fabric Used to Date: 73.476 yards

INCREASE in Stash to Date:  112.327 yards

See how others are doing over at Patchwork Times.

The Quilting Has Begun


What’s On My Design Wall



Over the weekend I finished cutting the shirt squares. Then I started stitching them into quilt backs. The one pictured above will go with the Orange Disappearing 9-Patch. Pictured below is half of the backing for one of the other Disappearing 9-Patch quilts.


In the bottom left corner is the stack of quilt tops which I’m planning on quilting. I hope to get all of these backs knocked out this week, then I’ll start a marathon quilting session. I’ve got a 4-day weekend coming up.

Hop over to Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.